Netflix Documentary

Paula Scher is a graphic design artist that has created some of the world's greatest logos known to man. She is the boss of Pentagram, even though she would say that they’re all friends. Beirut (one of the partners) stated, “Pentagram’s a supergroup of the most famous designers in the world and the best in the world.” This is a large firm that has an individual feel to each worker. This type of work enables you to “create an identity for a whole place based on recognizability of type.”

Another form of design that artists like Paula use is typography. Font, color, size, and so many other effects that make an individual before they can even read and comprehend the words, “have sensibility and spirit.” However, in this documentary it also talks about how the media has lost the physical aspect of art. Thus, Paula talks about the loss she had from ripping, painting, and gluing things together to create something that is considered art in the public’s eye. To how everything changed in the 90’s to digital, to the point that hands were useless in this type of work. 


In my words, how I view the state of play is where one feels inspired by the place they lay. They’re able to design and reach from the furthest part of their brain to create something that in no other place they could. The place where I feel that I can produce the best ideas and become free with my thoughts is at the beach. I get to rewind and be just with myself; it’s where I feel most alone with my ideas. The sun comes down reaching one of the most magical points of the day where the orange sky turns pink and then to nightfall. The clear, flat, calm waters with small waves hitting the sand, coming in and rolling back out at sea. That peace, I can’t find anywhere else. 


I’ve always been the creative kid in the family. I’ve painted, drawn, sketchbook, dance, sang, and even acted. I knew that it was my only passion since I could walk and talk. However, fashion has also been one of the biggest parts of my life. Just this past year, I worked with Hollister to create my own piece. Along with doing the creation of the piece, I started branding myself. Trying to find a logo that would match with my brand and myself. So, I would say I most like to create brand logos that represent each product. The use of color, fonts, and meaning is a thrill. 


One of the pieces that Paula Scher showed was The Public, which happens to be a theater community. Being that I live 20 minutes from NYC, I knew exactly what brand this was. It’s weird to see the creator behind the logo because, like most, I take for granted looking at them. You see it and you correlate it to the actual product however, you don’t think too much about how it originated. To me The Public symbol is an icon, most know about it because of how it's branded and its look. Seeing Paula Scher show people how the idea came about is amazing. It’s crazy to see how she was inspired and how quickly she came to hear the idea of the branding for the company. The Public has such a simple look and it seems to be under appreciated but, there is a whole story behind how it came to be. 


the inspiration

the final product



Comments

Popular Posts